Here are some things to do in order to achieve a successful newborn session:
1. If nursing, please avoid eating anything spicy (i.e. hot sauce, pizza, etc.) that might upset your baby’s fragile tummy for 24 before your session.
2. Stimulate and interact with baby to keep them awake for 2-3 hours prior to your session to ensure he/she is good and sleepy for their session. This is VERY important, without this, we spend too much time getting baby to sleep and not as much time photographing them. If you need to, give the baby a bath to help keep them awake or undressing them and keeping them naked usually helps as well. In addition, the baby needs to be fed as much as possible during the 12 hours before your session. This will allow them to sleep as deeply and long as possible.
3. Make sure the baby has a full belly before your session. Please feed the baby just before you leave for my studio. If the baby is formula fed please bring additional formula and bottles. If your are nursing and can pump I really recommend this. Babies tend to eat more and eat faster out of a bottle so having one on hand for a feeding during the session is a big help! If you aren’t pumping no worries, you can nurse your baby as much as they need it. You may want to bring a boppy pillow with you for support if you plan on nursing.
4. Dress the baby in loose fitting clothes to avoid any lines on the skin. A simple sleeper is best. Please avoid onesies or anything that we have to pull over the baby’s head.
5. Bring a pacifier, it can be extremely helpful to sooth the baby during the session.
6. The studio will be around 85 degrees to keep the baby warm while they are undressed. I recommend that parents dress in layers so that you can be comfortable in the warm environment.
7. During the session sit back and relax. I won’t need much assistance so take advantage of this time to rest. Feel free to bring your laptop to catch up on some work, or just take a NAP! 🙂
8. Plan on being here for around 2 hours. Feel free to bring drinks and snacks with you.
9. Please bring extra receiving blankets to wrap the baby in while changing sets etc. (3-4)
If you have purchased a package that includes parent pictures, a soft neutral sort sleeve shirt is suggested for Dad and a soft neutral tank or blouse top for mom. (Whites, creams, greys, tans, etc) If Dad is comfortable bearing his chest for a few photos that can make for some very sweet images. Please avoid anything with a pattern.
If you have older siblings that you would like photographed with your newborn we will do those shots first.
Due to the nature of the session I ask that your spouse/partner take the older siblings home or out for some fun while we finish up the newborn shots in order to keep the studio as quiet as possible.
If there are any special items that you would like photographed with the baby please bring them along but let me know what you are bringing ahead of time so that I can plan around it!
Seating in the studio is very limited so i recommend bringing no more than yourself and your spouse/partner (or a helper).
If you have any additional questions that are not covered here please feel free to contact me.